Saturday, February 07, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

OK, this is kind of cheating in the area of "orginal content," but it was a fun exercise on Facebook, so I thought I would post it here. If you're tagged, you have to write a list of 25 random facts about yourself. Here's what I wrote:

1. I am freakishly impervious to cold and often run the A/C in my car even in the winter (sorry, enviros).

2. Herel is not my "real" name.

3. At various times in my life -- and to varying degrees of seriousness -- I have wanted to be: a spelunker, airline pilot, nun, model, war correspondent, novelist, police officer, nurse, EMT, spy, lawyer, florist, fireman, FBI agent and professor -- but never an astronaut, actor or politician.

4. I am the proud mama of two cats and a dog: Vesper, 18; Stosh, 5; Lucy (a rescue Pekingese from a puppy mill), 9. They get along swimmingly.

5. I ran with the Olympic torch in 1985, and I still have it (you only pass on the flame).

6. I miss my dad, who died in 2005, more than he or I ever would have imagined.

7. If I could meet anyone, alive or dead, it would be my grandparents, who died before I was born. Second choice? Cary Grant.

8. I am infinitely curious what my mom, who died when I was 22, would think of me today. Enough about death ...

9. I have worked as a hand model, and my hands remain on some instruction booklets for small kitchen appliances. (My feet were registered with the studio, too, but I never had the occasion to work as a foot model.)

10. I have a thing for even numbers, but I have only ever lived at odd-numbered addresses.

11. I once flew to London for a blind date. London was great!

12. I love horror movies -- and classics. Dual favorites: The Thin Man and Halloween.

13. This year I will turn 42, the age my mom was when I was conceived/born. No longer will this reassuring thought be true: "I’m not as old as Mom was when she had me."

14. I feel like I should have been this age in the 1950s.

15. I still sleep with the teddy bear my brother gave me when I was 5.

16. My fashion sense and taste in music are arrested at 1989.

17. I feel incredibly fortunate that my U of Del. roommate, Victoria Lyon, and best friend from graduate school in Boston, Erica Kain, live in the Bay Area. I also am terribly excited to have found my first girlfriends ever -- Lori Shew-Jones and Sara Shostak -- on Facebook.

18. I have an abundant fondness for every city and every apartment I have lived in: Newark, Wilmington, Yorklyn and Hockessin, Del. (I love ya, Joe Biden!); Wilmington, N.C.; Boston; and S.F.

19. If I weren’t so terrified of public speaking, I would like to be a comedian. The biggest compliment you can give me is if I make you laugh.

20. I cut the tags out of all my shirts because I can’t stand how they feel (if you are a friend or colleague, there’s a fair chance that I’ve employed you to help me with this).

21. I really wish they would bring back Melrose Place, Seinfeld and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

22. Things that make me happy: anything retro, 40s music, the library, reading, crossword puzzles, flea markets, peanut butter cookies, butterscotch, buttons, cooking, my pets, friends, (some!) family, Nip/Tuck, Real Housewives of Orange County, Saw movies, Julian McMahon, David Boreanaz, Robert Downey Jr., gardening, the beach, being tan, running at Lands End, chardonnay, cowboy boots and The San Francisco Chronicle.

23. I have never been to Disneyland and really want to go there.

24. I own hundreds of Pez dispensers.

25. I snore. I dream vividly and remember my dreams. I believe in ghosts. I'm one of the happiest people I know. And I'm out of numbers.

1 comment:

Eveningson said...

We have a rescue dog. "Jumpy". This was the name the SPA gave him.

We have nine cats. Norwegian Forest Cats. I drove to Holland to get the last one-- Athos, who is amber. We also have Fee (german for Fay) who is from Heidelberg, Oliver Twist (Ollie T) and CaraLinda are both from Berne. The others are from our place, Suntree Cats.

I just love my cats. And the dog. We are trying to find another dog to keep me company while I travel. I enjoy travelling, my wife prefers to go up to a place we have at Les Mosses which is for skiing.

I was born Canadian. I am always very happy to meet happy people.