Thursday, October 30, 2008

Halloweens I Have Known

When I was a kid, my mom sewed my Halloween costumes. They were great; my faves were the clown (age 4) and Indian (age 5). And none involved a mask, which she felt might inhibit my ability to see or breathe. (Similarly, we never carved pumpkins, merely decorated them.)
Apparently, the mass marketing of millions of face masks -- none of whose owners ended up suing the manufacturer for injury -- did nothing to assuage her fear.

When I was in fifth grade or so, at the same time my mom was working at Di'Iorio's variety store in the Park 'N Shop shopping center, I was allowed to incorporate masks into my costumes. But not until after she'd taken scissors to them and enlarged the eye, nostril and mouth openings.






To this day, I choose mask-free costumes. Go figure.






1 comment:

Shaken Mama said...

So is the schtick in the first picture that you are some badass squaw who took that "brother" revolutionary war guy and kicked his ass? Good for you, Indian maiden!

And Chebbles is so terrified of masks, she cowers in fear if she learns there is a mask in any building that she's in. So she and your mom would have got along just fine. But we knew that already. Pass the Jell-O.