Saturday, June 28, 2008

Kids Say the Darndest Things

So, I'm gearing up for my scheduled (as opposed to ninja surprise) trip to Delaware to visit my sister and brother, and so planning time with old friends like Moam.

This morning, I called Moam, and we were laughing at some old jokes when her 5-year-old-daughter -- who for some reason can't stand it when her mom gets animated, laughs or sings -- started yelling, "Stop it!"

Of course, that just led to a more rowdy round of us singing our signature Paul Simon song, "All along, along, there were incidents and accidents, there were hints and allegations ..." (in our version, "bone digger, bone digger" becomes "moamdigger, moamdigger").

At which point, as reported by Moam, Roo turned off her "magic buttons" (hearing aids) and covered her ears. Like she does when it's thundering and she doesn't want to hear it.

We were duly put "in our place."

Also to Roo's dismay, her mother shared with me a conversation the two had had recently that went like this: (Keep in mind we both call each other Moam, kind of the way that Shaken Mama and I refer to each as Frog.)

Roo: "Is Moam a mommy?"
Moam: "No."
Roo: "Is she a grandma?"
Moam: "No."
Roo: "What IS she, then?"


Meanwhile, Roo was dragging through the house a stuffed cat I had sent her when she was in the hospital, using a jumprope as a leash that she had tied around his neck. The cat is named Herman as a nod to Moam's insistence on calling my family's (female) cat "Herman" when we were kids, a habit that annoyed me no end.

Herman arrived with a collar, a personalized tag and a book I created about Herman, a cat in San Francisco who insisted on visiting Roo in the hospital 3,000 miles away, and achieved this with the help of strangers and various modes of transport, including a big rig and taxi.

I love it that Roo still cares for Herman, and takes him to school for "pet day." I would be so honored for Herman to become the equivalent of Ted E. Bear, which I have slept with for over 30 years.

Hey, Roo! If you'll be his bodyguard, he can be your longlost pal ...

2 comments:

Shaken Mama said...

I've got the answer for you, Roo. AS is a DEADBEAT MOM.

Still waiting for my support checks as I raise your bejeweled and sleepless children,

SM

bernard n. shull said...

hi mate, this is the canadin pharmacy you asked me about: the link