Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Adventures in Singlehood

With Moam having given birth (Welcome, Noah Caidin!) and ShakenMama about to burst, I must admit I've been feeling a little domestic. And alone.

At least, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

You see, on Saturday, I caved. I signed up for match.com.

This marks my second foray into the online dating scene; about three years ago I was on eHarmony for a brief while. I had lunch with one man. He spent the whole time talking about himself, in particular about his ex-wife and how he had caught her cheating on him after he bought a GPS device and covertly attached it to her SUV.

Yeah.

Shortly after I signed onto Match, a tall drink of water from Florida "winked" at me. I "winked" back -- and received a barely literate e-mail from him asking to correspond outside of Match, due to a "computer glitch" that was interfering with his Match e-mail. Um, no. Today I tried to check his profile, and it's been yanked.

Yeah.

I forgot the nail-biting, paranoia-inducing, self-esteem-questioning involved in the virtual meat market. On eHarmony, I would obsess over my "matches" who -- before I even contacted them -- would close our match for such reasons as "lack of chemistry." Grrr.

On Sunday, I scrolled through some of the available men on Match and screwed up my courage to "wink" at some of them. Why haven't they all winked back?!

Why?

1 comment:

Chebbles' Mama said...

Wait a minute, where is Nancy Kerrigan from? I thought she was from Stoneham, Mass., but she is devoid of an accent.
I actually never saw that video before -- it will be helpful for birth. Thank you.