Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Rainy Day in the Outer Richmond

I called in "exhausted" to my boss this morning, as I've been spending way too much time in the office and need to recharge. Thank god he understands. I slept late, located my old (Hearst-owned) Examiner slicker and took myself to breakfast at the Seal Rock Inn, a few blocks away.

As luck would have it, I took a seat next to the "Fort Point Gang," a group of older folks who meet at Ft. Point under the Golden Gate Bridge once a week and then walk (or drive) to the Seal Rock Inn. As my colleague Carl Hall describes them in this April 11, 2002, article: "Fort Point ... (is) the focal point of a San Francisco waterfront tradition: weekly gatherings of the 'Fort Point Gang' of mostly retired union stalwarts, political progressives and even a few Spanish Civil War survivors."

In fact, one of the group, a former fireman at Station 13 who knew the infamous Dan White, introduced himself to me, and I indeed met a Spanish Civil War survivor. He is 93. It was his birthday.



No comments: