Thursday, January 10, 2008

I'm baaaaaack!

When last you tuned in, your Girl was recovering from bathroom entrapment at friend V.'s wedding party. And what the hell have I been doing since?

Well, 2007 was an interesting year filled with surprises -- good and bad -- changes at work, self-examination, a new fitness regime and bigtime pushing out of my comfort zone.

You see, one of the main reasons I stopped blogging was that I applied to become a police officer here in the city. This took a lot of physical training, tests, interviews and secrecy at my current job. Meanwhile, my background investigator advised that it wouldn't be wise to write about the goings-on of the application process, I think in part because some there feared I might be going through the motions just to write about it in the newspaper. (I wasn't.) And my newspaper and the police department have just one thing in common: distrust of each other.

In the process, I lost 40 pounds, took up running and passed all the requisite tests (this took the first half of the year). I was No. 9 on the eligibility list, slated to enter the academy in September if all checked out, when I received a prestigious award at work that involved a swanky trip to NYC, a talking-to by the editor asking me to stay, a promotion and a raise. So I filled out the city form to put my application on hold for three years and decided to stick it out at the paper and see where that took me.

Still, I'm glad I went through the process. Having always relied more on my intellect than my physical strength, the physical training was the most challenging part. Imagine me, a 39-year-old woman, running around a gym after young studs half my age. I'll say one thing: I think I know where all the cute, young, straight guys are in San Francisco.

Currently, my boss is a good friend of mine and we run a section of the newspaper together. It's a blast.

If there's anyone out there still reading JAGISF, thanks for checking back in!

2 comments:

DaisyJo said...

Yay!!

Naynayfazz said...

Holy crap, you're back! So much to read and so little time. I must come back and visit later. That is awesome news! :)