Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Trying Not to Hate Rush Limbaugh

Whenever I see Michael J. Fox these days, my heart feels like someone has just given it a good swipe with steel wool. I recognize in his Parkinson's Disease-affected movements the same cruel symptoms that ravaged my mother.

Parkinson's robs people of their dignity.

Over the years, when I was in high school and then college, I watched as my mom progressively lost her ability to walk, write, feed herself, talk, and in the end, even swallow. Eventually bed-ridden, she developed a sore that became infected and had to be hospitalized. The doctors said she was on the brink of starvation because she had hardly been able to get anything into her system (and this with a visiting nurse treating her each day).

That would be her last hospitalization. One Saturday morning, a week before Christmas, she stopped breathing. After they revived her, she remained in a coma for three months.

Now comes Rush Limbaugh, ridiculing Fox's appearance on ads supporting stem cell research.

"He is exaggerating the effects of the disease," Limbaugh told listeners. "He's moving all around and shaking and it's purely an act."

"This is the only time I've ever seen Michael J. Fox portray any of the symptoms of the disease he has," Limbaugh said. "He can barely control himself."


Yes, he can barely control himself: That's the point. And let me tell you, without the money Fox is able to pour into all kinds of treatment, he wouldn't even be able to have pulled off what he did looking relatively normal.

Rush Limbaugh, sir, it is not in my nature to hate. But if ever you are diagnosed with Parkinson's or other degenerative disease, I'll ask you to please forgive me a brief smile.

4 comments:

themikestand said...

I forget...why are you trying NOT to hate him? From my point of view, it seems he's done nothing to earn any respect or admiration.

My deepest sympathies to you on the loss of your mother.

Chebbles' Mama said...

Seriously, that is bizarre that he's accusing Michael J. Fox of exaggerating the symptoms... why in the hell would you do that? And if, for some bizarre, unknown reason, Michael J. Fox were totally MAKING IT UP, who gives a crap, Rush, because he's brought this disease into a heretofore unknown spotlight. What a bonehead.

Naynayfazz said...

This also angered me. For arguements sake, even if Michael J Fox went off of his meds to show the effects of Parkinsons-- he still is suffering from it and NO ONE, especially that a**hole Rush Limbaugh, should make any negative comments about him.

I read today that others are skeptical of MJF's motives. That is really sad. The media really knows how to ruin people's lives.

edee said...

I was even more disgusted with Rush this week ( if that is possible). He must not have had enough oxcontin that day and was cranky so took it out on Michael J. ya.. a drug addict passing judgement on someone with parkinson's..idiot.