Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Just a Girl (In-)Action Figure: Wine Glass, Cat and Bed Sold Separately

I love sleeping. An action figure of me would really be an inaction figure, with accessories sold separately: bed, couch, book, wine glass, cat.

Last night, in the middle of the night, I awoke at 2 a.m. and snuggled into my covers, savoring the darkness, the quiet and the prospect of *five* more hours to sleep. What bliss!

Then I heard it: the soothing, plaintive cry of a fog horn. Perfect.

I hate getting up in the morning, but the noises of the building and the street -- and the insistence of my cat Vesper -- lull me into awareness bit by bit.

Cars start motoring by beneath my window; birds call.

The neighbor across the hall, a cop on the night shift, returns home, closing the front metal gate behind him. The girl upstairs, who works downtown, leaves shortly after he returns; the garage door opens.

My cat Vesper jumps on the bed and starts pawing my arm or whatever appendage he can locate.

My alarm sounds with the song "You Sexy Thing" from the Me, Myself and I soundtrack.

Yeah, I really can't complain.

5 comments:

WireBoy said...

I have some action figure, um, "accessories" you can use. Ha ha. Just kidding with you, Diana-- er, I mean, Stella.

Serena said...

Mmmm...sounds delightful. My bed used to be my favorite place.

TinaPoPo said...

I still love my bed. And I love waking up at 4 in the morning -- not getting up, just snoozily waking up -- and the bedroom is that soft white/grey color, and it's a little cold in the room, and my dogs are still dozing, and the only sound is the train in the distance. That is my favorite thing.

Naynayfazz said...

I have to say, I miss working but I surely don't miss waking up at dawn's crack every morning. I am enjoying this while I can.

I would buy your (in-) action figure if it was sold in stores.

Also, I am coming to your neck of the woods in November for a week. Maybe we can meet up. My aunt is going to help me narrow down what area we should move to and I am going to be checking out a few colleges. Keep this on the down low, though. My family reads my blogs and does not know we are moving yet.

DaisyJo said...

Your fog horn is my train whistle...far off in the distance, just loud enough to evoke a childhood memory that gives me a cozy, snuggle-back-down feeling.