Saturday, July 29, 2006

One is the Only-ist Number (for me)

I am single and I enjoy it. The other day, I wondered if there were others like myself out there, so I did a Google search. The only sites I came up with were for 1) Women choosing to be single moms (go, you!) and 2) Women trying to land a man.

But I don't need a man! (No, I don't need a woman, either.) I really enjoy being independent, doing what I want when I want to and not being beholden to anyone else. I've been married, and it's not all it's cracked up to be, at least in my humble opinion. It's work and compromise -- and both of you need to be willing to do it. Look around you the next time you're on the road or in a restaurant -- I bet you'll spot a married couple in a car or at a table who have nothing to say to each other, and who look like there is any number of other things they'd rather be doing. How many people do you know who have cheated on their spouse?

I don't even feel a great need to procreate. And hey, if you knew my family (you need only check out the posting below about my brother), you may agree that it might be time to get out of the gene pool and dry off for a while.) I may adopt when I get where I hope I'm going career-wise and make more money. But I don't feel much of a pull to add yet another person to this world.

Unfortunately, society hasn't caught up with me. While men can stay bachelors their whole lives without anyone questioning their life choice, women generally are considered incomplete. That shouldn't be the case -- look at Condoleezza Rice, Oprah, Janet Reno. They're all powerful, successful, single women.

It's not that I don't like dating, or falling in love, or any of that -- or that I think other people shouldn't get married or have kids. It's just that I don't require it for my well being. I have a good job that I enjoy, lots of friends, my own place. I go to the movies myself, eat at restaurants alone -- I don't understand why people think that's intimidating. If the right man came along, that would fine, too.

But I'm already a complete person. Well, as long as I have a cat around:

No comments: